Happy Reptile Awareness Day!
Today is Reptile Awareness Day – the perfect time to celebrate all things slimy, slithery and creepy! The Virginia Zoo is exceptionally excited to be celebrating all of our scaly friends this year as we begin renovations to the Reptile House.
The Zoo kicked off its “Defining Moments” Capital Campaign earlier this year to raise $2.6 million dollars needed for the renovation of the Reptile House. The present building is unique in design, but one of the oldest in the park. With upgrades, the new design will double the number of animal exhibits, improve visitor amenities and create a new experience which allow guests to fall in love with the species who will call it home. Currently the Reptile House is closed during construction and we are anxious to open the doors later next year.
Reptiles are known for creating a reaction, whether it be terror or amazement, but the truth is these incredible creatures are vital to our environment. The goal of Reptile Awareness Day is to take a moment to educate yourself on the wonders of their world and how you can support them.
Here are a few ways to support our slithery friends this weekend:
- Go on a nature hike and see how many reptiles you can find along the way.
- Brush up on your reptilian knowledge and read about the Zoo’s conservation work around the world.
- Come to the Virginia Zoo tomorrow, Saturday, October 22, for ZooBoo and see your slithering Animal Ambassador friends at the ZooLive! Stage.
- Donate to the “Defining Moments” World of Reptiles Capital Campaign by calling 757-441-2374 or email Amy Loughran at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Take your reptilian friend to the vet for a quick check up.
We hope that you have a great time celebrating Reptile Awareness Day this year. We cannot wait to open the doors to our new World of Reptiles in Summer 2018 and it is through the support of the community that we will be able to!