Zoo Train & Fun Features
All Aboard the Norfolk Southern Express
Climb aboard the Zoo Train for a fun and informative ride. Tickets are $2.00 per rider.
The Zoo Train operates on a Winter Schedule from Monday, December 2, 2013 until Monday, March 3, 2014.
During this time, the train will run Saturday and Sunday only when temperatures are 50 degrees or above, with the exception of Winter Break (December 23, 2013 through January 2, 2014). The final ride on Saturday and Sunday will be at 4:20 p.m.
The train schedule may be extended to weekdays (Monday through Friday) when temperatures are 55 degrees or above. The final ride of the day on Monday through Friday will be at 2:30 p.m.
As always, the train will be closed during inclement weather. The train may also close early due to low attendance in order to be financially responsible, as net train proceeds are used to expand and enhance exhibits and facilities throughout the Zoo. Instances of early closure will be announced over the public address system. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
Zoo Train Facts
- The Zoo train is a 1/3 scale model of a C.P. Huntington steam engine.
- Four coaches can accommodate over 80 passengers – adults and children.
- The permanent track is 3/4 of a mile long.
- Riders board the train at the Beazley Foundation Station located near the entry plaza.
- The journey includes live narration from the train engineer about the Zoo and its collection of plants and animals.
- The train is ADA compliant – and can accommodate wheelchairs.
- The train will not operate in rain or inclement weather.
- Funds raised from the sales of train tickets support conservation programs and animal exhibit expansion. Our first exhibit built with proceeds from train ticket sales will be "Australia."
- The entire journey will last about 20 minutes.
- The train has a 4-cylinder engine that is gasoline operated.
- The engine weighs about 6,100 pounds.
- Each coach weighs approximately 2,700 pounds.
Please call (757) 441-2374 for more information, daily train schedule and departure times.