Zoo Train & Fun Features
All Aboard the Norfolk Southern Express
Climb aboard the Zoo Train for a fun and informative ride. Tickets are $2.00 per rider.
The Zoo Train operates on a Winter schedule from Monday, December 3, 2012 until Monday, February 25, 2013. During this time, the train will run Saturday and Sunday ONLY when temperatures are 50 degrees or above, with the exception of Winter Break (December 24, 2012 through January 2, 2013).
The train schedule may be extended during weekdays (Monday through Friday) when temperatures are 55 degrees or above.
As always, the train will be closed during inclement weather. Please contact the Zoo at (757) 441-2374 for additional information, train schedule and departure times.
Zoo Train Facts
- The Zoo train is a 1/3 scale model of a C.P. Huntington steam engine.
- Four coaches can accommodate over 80 passengers – adults and children.
- The permanent track is 3/4 of a mile long.
- Riders board the train at the Beazley Foundation Station located near the entry plaza.
- The journey includes live narration from the train engineer about the Zoo and its collection of plants and animals.
- The train is ADA compliant – and can accommodate wheelchairs.
- The train will not operate in rain or inclement weather.
- Funds raised from the sales of train tickets support conservation programs and animal exhibit expansion. Our first exhibit built with proceeds from train ticket sales will be "Australia."
- The entire journey will last about 20 minutes.
- The train has a 4-cylinder engine that is gasoline operated.
- The engine weighs about 6,100 pounds.
- Each coach weighs approximately 2,700 pounds.
For more information, call (757) 441-2374.