2021 Calendar Contest
The Virginia Zoo wants to see your best “zoo at home” in a new contest they are launching for its annual calendar. In previous years, the Zoo featured 12 images from local and regional photographers, but this year they want to see all creative artistic renditions of Virginia Zoo animals.
PLEASE READ ALL RULES BEFORE ENTERING
The Digital Artwork Contest (“Art Contest”) is open only to residents of the United States.
One entry per person. A person submitting more than one entry will be disqualified.
The Art Contest begins at 10 am EST on August 3, 2020 and ends at 5 pm EST on August 14, 2020 (the “Entry Period”). Entries submitted before or after the Entry Period will not be eligible. Sponsor’s computer is the official time-keeping device for the Photo Contest.
WHAT TO ENTER
2D (flat) images that depicts current Virginia Zoo animals in media to include, but not limited to:
- hand-drawn or vector illustrations or drawings
- paintings (acrylic, oil, finger paint, spray paint, etc)
- personal family photos in animal costumes (photo release required)
- chalk drawings
- To ensure eligibility for the contest, please submit files no larger than 4MB in .jpg or .png, format at the time of entry.
- Higher resolution files of at least 240 dpi/ppi will be requested should an entry be selected.
- Photo files MUST be labeled in the following format: ANIMAL_FIRSTnameLASTname.jpg
- Previously published material for which non-exclusive rights were granted may be entered as long as you still maintain the right to grant us a license. You must be able to disclose when and where the artwork appeared previously upon request.
The following submissions are INELIGIBLE:
- Artwork containing animals not currently on exhibit at the Virginia Zoo (elephant, seal, gorilla, etc.).
- Artwork that violates or infringes upon another person’s rights, including but not limited to copyright.
- Artwork or photos that contain sexually explicit, nude, obscene, violent or other objectionable or inappropriate content.
- Artwork that depicts putting any individual or animal in danger.
- Any hardcopy artwork mailed to the Virginia Zoo. All submissions must be made digitally via the Zoo’s website.
The Virginia Zoo shall determine entry eligibility in its sole and absolute discretion.
Winning artists will be contacted in September and published in the 2021 Virginia Zoo calendar. All winners will also receive one (1) Virginia Zoo calendar, which will be mailed in December 2020, additional calendars will be available for purchase at the Zoo’s Gift Shop.