Zoo Train & Fun Features
All Aboard the Norfolk Southern Express
Climb aboard the Zoo Train for a fun and informative ride. Tickets are $2.00 per rider.
The Zoo Train operates on a Winter Schedule from through March 1, 2015.
Monday – Friday:
Scheduled every 30 minutes
First train ride: 10:30 am
Final ride: 4 pm
Saturday & Sunday:
Scheduled every 20 minutes
First train ride: 10:20 am
Final ride: 4:20 pm
Train tokens may be purchased at the ticket booth and at the train station. Children under 2 years old ride for free and do not need a token.
Zoo Train Facts
- The Zoo train is a 1/3 scale model of a C.P. Huntington steam engine.
- Four coaches can accommodate over 80 passengers – adults and children.
- The permanent track is 3/4 of a mile long.
- Riders board the train at the Beazley Foundation Station located near the entry plaza.
- The journey includes live narration from the train engineer about the Zoo and its collection of plants and animals.
- The train is ADA compliant – and can accommodate wheelchairs.
- The train will not operate in rain or inclement weather.
- Funds raised from the sales of train tickets support conservation programs and animal exhibit expansion. Our first exhibit built with proceeds from train ticket sales will be “Australia.”
- The entire journey will last about 20 minutes.
- The train has a 4-cylinder engine that is gasoline operated.
- The engine weighs about 6,100 pounds.
- Each coach weighs approximately 2,700 pounds.
Please call 757.441.2374 for more information, daily train schedule and departure times.