ALL ABOARD THE NORFOLK SOUTHERN EXPRESS
Climb aboard the Zoo Train for a fun and informative journey around the Zoo.
Tickets are $2.00 per rider.
Train tokens may be purchased at the ticket booth and at the train station. Children under 2 years old ride for free and do not need a token.
Zoo Train Facts
- The Zoo train is a 1/3 scale model of a C.P. Huntington steam engine.
- Four coaches can accommodate more than 80 passengers – adults and children.
- The permanent track is 3/4 of a mile long.
- Riders board the train at the Beazley Foundation Station located near the entry plaza.
- The train is ADA compliant – and can accommodate wheelchairs.
- The train does not operate in rain or inclement weather.
- Funds raised from the sales of train tickets support conservation programs and animal exhibit expansion. Our first exhibit built with proceeds from train ticket sales will be “Australia.”
- The entire journey will last about 20 minutes.
- The train has a 4-cylinder engine that is gasoline operated.
- The engine weighs about 6,100 pounds and each coach weighs approximately 2,700 pounds
WINTER 2016/2017 STATEMENT
Zoo Train operates on a Winter Schedule from Monday, December 5, 2016 until Monday, March 27, 2017. During this time, the train will run Saturday and Sunday only when temperatures are 50 degrees or above, with the exception of Winter Break (December 22, 2016 through January 1, 2017). The train schedule may be extended during weekdays (Monday through Friday) when temperatures are 55 degrees or above.
The final ride of the day will be at 2:30 pm.
As always, the train will be closed during inclement weather. Please call (757) 441-2374 for daily train schedule and departure times.