ALL ABOARD THE NORFOLK SOUTHERN EXPRESS
Climb aboard the Zoo Train for a fun and informative journey around the Zoo.
Tickets are $2.00 per rider.
Train tokens may be purchased at the ticket booth and at the train station. Children under 2 years old ride for free and do not need a token.
Zoo Train Facts
- The Zoo train is a 1/3 scale model of a C.P. Huntington steam engine.
- Four coaches can accommodate more than 80 passengers – adults and children.
- The permanent track is 3/4 of a mile long.
- Riders board the train at the Beazley Foundation Station located near the entry plaza.
- The train is ADA compliant – and can accommodate wheelchairs.
- The train does not operate in rain or inclement weather.
- Funds raised from the sales of train tickets support conservation programs and animal exhibit expansion. Our first exhibit built with proceeds from train ticket sales will be “Australia.”
- The entire journey will last about 20 minutes.
- The train has a 4-cylinder engine that is gasoline operated.
- The engine weighs about 6,100 pounds and each coach weighs approximately 2,700 pounds.