All Aboard the Norfolk Southern Express
Climb aboard the Zoo Train for a fun and informative ride. Tickets are $2.00 per rider.
The Zoo Train operates on a Fall Schedule from Sept. 2 through Dec. 1, 2014.
Monday – Friday:
Scheduled every 30 minutes
First train ride: 10:30 a.m.
Final ride: 4 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday:
Scheduled every 20 minutes
First train ride: 10:20 a.m.
Final ride: 4:20 p.m.
As always, the train will be closed during inclement weather. The train may also close early due to low attendance. Instances of early closure will be announced over the public address system. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
Train tokens can be purchased at the ticket booth and at the train station. Children under 2 years old ride for free and do not need a token.
Zoo Train Facts
- The Zoo train is a 1/3 scale model of a C.P. Huntington steam engine.
- Four coaches can accommodate over 80 passengers – adults and children.
- The permanent track is 3/4 of a mile long.
- Riders board the train at the Beazley Foundation Station located near the entry plaza.
- The journey includes live narration from the train engineer about the Zoo and its collection of plants and animals.
- The train is ADA compliant – and can accommodate wheelchairs.
- The train will not operate in rain or inclement weather.
- Funds raised from the sales of train tickets support conservation programs and animal exhibit expansion. Our first exhibit built with proceeds from train ticket sales will be “Australia.”
- The entire journey will last about 20 minutes.
- The train has a 4-cylinder engine that is gasoline operated.
- The engine weighs about 6,100 pounds.
- Each coach weighs approximately 2,700 pounds.
Please call (757) 441-2374 for more information, daily train schedule and departure times.