Explore the Zoo!Get FREE Admission to the Zoo on March 12 for Museum Day Live!
March 10, 2016
The Virginia Zoo and five other Norfolk organizations will join with hundreds of cultural institutions across the country for Museum Day Live! on Saturday, March 12. That’s when the Smithsonian Institution celebrates a nationwide campaign to reach women and girls of color in underserved communities.
Held during Women’s History Month, this event encourages everyone, particularly woman and girls of color, to explore our nation’s museums, cultural institutions, zoos, aquariums, parks and libraries by offering free admission for the day.
Visit smithsonian.com/museumdaylive to learn more and download a ticket. Each ticket grants the ticketholder and a guest free access to a participating museum on March 12. One ticket is permitted per household, per email address. The tickets are available to everyone.
In addition to the Norfolk Zoo, the participating Norfolk organizations are:
- Nauticus One Waterside Drive, is open 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Sundays, closed Mondays. Nauticus is a contemporary museum that uses the natural setting of Norfolk’s harbor to showcase global maritime commerce and the world’s largest Navy.
- The Hermitage Museum 7637 North Shore Rd., is open 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday through Sunday. The Hermitage features a nationally recognized art collection spanning 5,000 years, contemporary exhibition galleries, a Visual Arts Studio, and 12 acres of gardens and grounds that offer art and culture to the community. On Museum Day Live!, visitors are invited to join a special tour called “Women in the Arts,” celebrating Women’s History Month, at 3 p.m.
- The Chrysler Museum One Memorial Place, is open 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, 12-5 p.m. Sunday and closed Monday. The Chrysler Museum of Art is home to a collection of nearly 30,000 objects spanning 5,000 years of history.
- The MacArthur Memorial located at 198 Bank St., is open 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday and closed Monday. The MacArthur Memorial is a museum and research center dedicated to preserving and presenting the story of the life of General of the Army Douglas MacArthur.
- The Hampton Roads Naval Museum One Waterside Drive, is open10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, 12 noon-5 p.m. Sunday and closed Monday. It is an official U.S. Navy museum dedicated to the study of 235 years of naval history in the Hampton Roads region.
The Hermitage, Chrysler and Hampton Roads Naval museums and the MacArthur Memorial are free every day, but they are participating in Museum Day Live! with the other Norfolk organizations.