TEMPORARILY CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE FOR MAINTENANCE AND TESTING
Climb aboard the Zoo Train for a fun and informative journey around the Zoo! The Zoo Train is now open with increased cleaning protocols and new regulations to ride. Please be advised:
- Masks are required to ride the train (ages 5+)
- Riders should leave one bench between themselves and another party
- Train tokens will not be sold. Instead, a “train ride” will be sold upon boarding by with cash or credit card at the Beazley train station only.
- The carriage with wheelchair access is currently out of service
Hours may vary, please check with the Ticket Booth upon arrival or at the train station.
The Zoo train will only operate during times that the temperature is above 55 degrees. The train will be closed during inclement weather and extreme temperatures. The Zoo Train may also close early due to low attendance.
Please call (757) 441-2374 for daily train schedule and departure times.
- Tickets are $2 per rider.
- Children under 2 years old ride for free and do not need a token.
ZOO TRAIN FACTS
- The Zoo train is a 1/3 scale model of a C.P. Huntington steam engine.
- Four coaches can accommodate more than 80 passengers – adults and children.
- The permanent track is 3/4 of a mile long.
- Riders board the train at the Beazley Foundation Station located near the entry plaza.
- The train is ADA compliant – and can accommodate wheelchairs.
- The train does not operate in rain or inclement weather.
- Funds raised from the sales of train tickets support conservation programs and animal exhibit expansion.
- The train has a 4-cylinder engine that is gasoline operated.
- The engine weighs about 6,100 pounds and each coach weighs approximately 2,700 pounds
BECOME A VIRGINIA ZOO TRAIN ENGINEER FOR THE DAY
All aboard and become a Norfolk Southern Express engineer! Get a behind-the-scenes look at what it takes to be a part of a top Virginia Zoo attraction.