2019 Calendar Photo Contest
The 2019 PHOTO Contest is now closed!
Thank you to everyone who entered the contest. Winners’ photos selected to be in the calendar have received an email.
PLEASE READ ALL RULES BEFORE ENTERING
The Digital Photo Contest (“Photo Contest”) is open only to legal residents of the United States who are at least eighteen (18) years old. General admission applies to visitors without a current membership.
One entry per person totaling a max of four photo submissions will be allowed. A person submitting more than the allowable four photos will be disqualified.
The Photo Contest begins at 10:00 am EST on August 1, 2018 and ends at 5:00 pm EST on August 31, 2018 (the “Entry Period”). Entries submitted before or after the Entry Period will not be eligible. Sponsor’s computer is the official time-keeping device for the Photo Contest.
WHAT TO ENTER
- Exhibited animals at the Virginia Zoo
- Gardens and plant life at the Virginia Zoo
- Virginia Zoo staff or Volunteers with animal ambassadors
To ensure eligibility for the contest, please submit files no larger than 8MB in landscape (horizontal) orientation at the time of entry.
Higher resolution files of at least 240 dpi/ppi will be requested should an entry be selected. All photographs should accurately reflect the subject matter and the scene as it appeared.
- Photo files MUST be labeled in the following format: ANIMAL_FIRSTnameLASTname.jpg
Previously published material for which non-exclusive rights were granted may be entered as long as you still maintain the right to grant us a license. You must be able to disclose when and where the photo appeared previously upon request.
The following submissions are ineligible:
- Photographs of children, adults, buildings or infrastructure.
- Free range native Virginia animals (squirrels, geese, turtles, etc. )
- Photos that violate or infringe upon another person’s rights, including but not limited to copyright.
- Photos that contain sexually explicit, nude, obscene, violent or other objectionable or inappropriate content.
- Images that involve the willful harassment of wildlife, or damage to the environment by the photographer.
- Images that involve putting any individual or animal in danger.
- Images taken more than one year prior to the beginning date of the Contest (August 1, 2017).
- Photos that have been digitally altered beyond standard optimization (removal of dust, cropping, reasonable adjustments to exposure, color and contrast, etc.) will be disqualified.
The Virginia Zoo shall determine entry eligibility in its sole and absolute discretion.
Winning photos of the contest will be published in the 2019 Virginia Zoo calendar. The winning cover photo will receive a behind-the-scenes tour of the Zoo’s newest exhibit – World of Reptiles.