behind the scenes adventures
Learn about animal care, behavior and conservation. Meet a keeper who can share information about the animals they care for as only they know them! Meet the lions or feed the giraffe! The Virginia Zoo offers you up-close animal tours filled with memorable experiences and fascinating information. Check out these once in a lifetime Zoo tours. Each tour will offer you and your family or friends, the breathtaking experience of seeing the world’s most dramatic wildlife. Don’t forget to bring your camera!
All tours include park admission.
- Family (5 guests): $350
- Friends (2 guests): $200
- Zoo Members: Family—$275, Friends—$160
Additional adults: $85/each, additional children: $60/each. Limit of 10 people per tour.
Giraffe Feeding, Lion, Tapir, rhino, or Elephant Experience
- Family (5 guests): $250
- Friends (2 guests): $150
- Zoo Members: Family—$200, Friends—$125
Additional adults: $60/each, additional children: $40/each. Limit of 10 people per tour.
Aldabra Tortoise, Red River Hog, Reptile, or Bison Experience
- Family (5 guests): $200
- Friends (2 guests): $100
- Zoo Members: Family—$150, Friends—$75
Additional adults: $50/each, additional children: $30/each. Limit of 10 people per tour.
Arrange a Tour
Space is limited. Two week advance reservations are required — remember to confirm your reservation prior to your tour day
Call 757.441.2374 (222) or email to schedule your tour.
Pre-payment is required and must be received two weeks prior to your tour.
- Behind-the-scenes tours are non-refundable; however, if it becomes necessary to reschedule your tour for another date, you may do so by calling 48 hours before the tour without incurring any additional charges.
- Please note that we reserve the right to cancel a tour at any time to ensure the safety of our animals, staff and guests. If this should happen, your tour will be rescheduled or you will receive a refund.
- Closed-toe shoes are required — no open-toed shoes, including sandals, will be permitted in animal areas.
- Please inquire about wheelchair and stroller accessibility on a specific tour.