Self-Guided School Trips
- Dates: Monday through Friday, year round.
- Time/Duration: The Zoo is open 10:00 am to 5:00 pm. We suggest you allow 2-3 hours to tour the Zoo.
- Reservations: Reservations are required at least 4 weeks prior to the date of visit and one person must pay for entire group to receive discount.
- Fees: Ages 2-11: $8.00 per student. Ages 12+: $10.00 per student. Adults (teachers, staff, or parents): 1 free for every 10 students. If included in group payment, additional adults are $6 each. Students living with ADA disabilities (physical or cognitive) free + 1 free adult per student living with a disability
- Note – Discounts and coupons do not apply to school rates.
Schools physically located in the City of Norfolk receive free admission for students on a self-guided field trip. Reservation required.
Train Fun Ticket
The Train Fun Ticket includes one –day student admission and one train ride. (Space is limited. Get your request in early.)
Students ages 2-11 are $9 per student.
Students ages 12 and up are $11 per student.
One adult (teacher or other adult 18 and over) rides free with every ten student Train Fun Tickets.
Additional Adult chaperones above the 1:10 ratio paid for as part of the school group payment (single form of payment; one transaction for entire group) receive a discounted Train Fun Ticket rate of $8 each.
The Train Fun Ticket discount does not apply to Norfolk School students, Home Schools, or students living with disabilities. They are $2 per student to ride the train.
The Train Fun Ticket cannot be combined with any other offer or discount.
Home Schools that are registered with their local school district are eligible to enjoy the school admission rates above (Monday through Friday). One adult per family is admitted free. Home Schools do not need to register. To receive the Field Trip rate show your school board home school confirmation letter at the ticket booth.
Ready To Plan A Field Trip?
- 1st: Read our Field Trip Policies. It is your responsibility to read, understand and follow the Self-Guided Field Trip Policies.
- 2nd: Download our Self Guided Field Trip Request Form and return by fax or mail. Once your request is processed you will receive a confirmation by email to confirm your date. (The email will be from an @norfolk.gov email address).
- 3rd: Prepare for your visit! Read our Successful Field Trip Tips. It answers commonly asked questions and gives you tips to a smooth trip. Zoo Maps will be provided for Adults at the gate. Our map can be downloaded here to print for students and classroom activities.
For assistance, contact Visitor Services at 757.441.2374 (251) or email.